I believe in miracles

edited September 2014 Posted in » General Discussion
Just returned from a cruise of the Norwegian fjords. I tend to get up early. Each morning, around 5:30 and 6:00, we would be sailing into a fjord on our way to the next port of call. What did I find around me in the pitch black of the aft deck? Several other early risers armed with iPads and iPhones snapping at mountains which the eye could vaguely make out. I couldn't help but hum Errol Brown's iconic hit over and over in my mind!

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Haha! Just goes to show how smartphones have placed a camera in everyone’s hands but that doesn’t make everyone a photographer.

People just have too much faith in smartphone cameras these days. The smartphone manufacturers use marketing to fool the general public into thinking that smartphone cameras are so much better than they really are.
  • edited September 2014
    @ohyeahar, too true. What was funnier though was one chap, while snapping with his iPhone at the mountains which were 2000ft high and a quarter of a mile away in almost total darkness, turned to his wife who actually had a real point and shoot camera and said in a very knowledgeable way "I think you might have to use the flash dear". It took great effort not to spit my coffee out.
    PBked
  • edited September 2014
    Haha! That’s brilliant! Flash is nothing more than a burst of light but for whatever reason, people think that it has magical properties. They expect it to illuminate everything. You see this when people try to photograph professional sports. I mean, do they really think that firing a flash at the basketball court in Madison Square Garden from 50 rows back is going to make ANY difference?
    Then there are folks who use their smartphone flash for shooting the moon. Is that tiny dual LED really going to travel ¼ of a million mile away, light up the 8.6 million square miles of the moon which is facing Earth, and reflect ¼ of a million mile away back into your camera?