Breaking into Photography full time

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
What are any suggestions you might have for breaking into the business full time? I have had a love of photography for a long time and have been taking pictures for quite a while. I'm more into the artisic side of photography, since I'm an art lover and my wife is a painter. (Ansel Adams is one of my favs.) I know its a broad question, but any help would be great.

Comments

• Howdy @chuck - As you might imagine, it's getting harder and harder for true artists to stand out in this digital age. My advice would be to start with a simple blog/website that will allow you to post photos and write about your passion for photography. Naturally over a period of time you'll be able to build an audience of fans/readers who will go bananas each time you make a print available. I will say that this method takes a lot of time (2 to 5 years) to develop, however, it's generally far more profitable to sell your prints to a loyal readership than trying to submit your shots to Getty images or the like. Hope that helps. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thank you for the response. I know its getting harder and harder to work on art full time. I'm putting together a blogsite that caters to artists. From other people I have talked to, the way you mentioned is the best way to go. It takes longer, but you make more and it will last longer (i.e. not just a fad). Thanks again for the help.