Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Crop sensor

edited August 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Is the D3100 a crop sensor? I think it is but how crop it is?

Question #2
Someone suggested a Nikon 24-70mm for a full frame. He mentioned a cropped sensor would probably be a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8?

Question #3
Would it be correct to buy a 70-200mm Nikon on a D3100 or there is an equivalent for cropped sensor?

Thanks

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Yes, the D3100 is a cropped sensor. Officially it's "APS-C" size.

A full frame lens will work perfectly well on this sensor, but your field of view will be approximately 75 percent of what you see on a full frame, or put another way, focal length will appear to be about 150 percent of what you're used to on full frame. So, for example, the 18-55mm kit lens that came with the D3100 would be about the same as a 28-80mm on full frame, wide but not ultra-wide, to very short telephoto.

If you want a true wide angle, you need to get down into the teens at the short end. The 24-70mm, while it will doubtless make fine pictures, will only get you to the full frame equivalent of 36mm, which is a a wide-ish but not terribly wide angle. Of course what you need will depend on what you generally prefer. On your cropped sensor, the 24-70mm will be almost exactly equivalent to a 35-105mm. Back in film days it was one of the more popular full frame zoom lengths, and very handy as a "walk-around" lens. I have one that I used for many years with a 35mm, and it's a very nice range. It really depends on how wide you think you'll need to go. Once upon a time, before zooms, a full frame user would likely have had in his arsenal, a 35mm, a 50mm, and a 135mm lens. Wide angles have gotten wider, and telephotos longer, in recent generations.

For the telephoto end of things, a 70-200mm will get you pretty nice results, I imagine, equivalent to a 300mm on full frame. If you want decent optics and don't mind it being a bit slow in both aperture and focus speed, you might consider the DX-only 55-300mm. I have this as a complement to the 18-55mm kit lens that came on my D3200, and it's a very decent performer. Its focus speed is not terrific for fast action, and its aperture is a bit small for indoor sports. A lot of bang for the buck, though, and 300mm on a DX format gets you some serious telephoto reach. It’s compact, sharp, and inexpensive.

Final edit note: see headers above for a Moose review of the 55-300mm. I basically agree with this review.
  • edited August 2014
    1. Yes, the D3100 uses an APS-C sensor which is cropped (i.e. smaller than full frame). See this Wikipedia page for some helpful visual aids.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

2. The 24-70mm is indeed a full frame lens which you can certainly use on the D3100. For full frame cameras, that lens is considered a fast normal zoom. It’s “fast” because of the constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the focal range. It’s “normal” because it the focal range goes from moderately wide to moderately tele.
    While you can use the 24-70mm as a fast normal zoom on the D3100, there are a couple of drawbacks. This is a rather large and heavy lens. On an APS-C sensor, 24mm may not be wide enough for some folks, and it’s expensive.
    There are 3 other fast normal zooms that can be used on the D3100. They are the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.
    The Nikon model is just as huge as the 24-70mm and also very expensive.
    The Sigma and Tamron models are a lot less expensive and considerably smaller and lighter, and they have optical stabilization.

3. Just like the 24-70mm, the 70-200mm is a full frame lens which you can certainly use on the D3100. Nikon has 2 current 70-200mm lenses. One has a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout and the other is f/4. This lens is considered a fast tele zoom. Unfortunately, there’s no real alternatives to this other than the third party offerings (i.e., Sigma, and Tamron). The 70-200mm f/2.8 is huge, heavy, and expensive. The f/4 lens is slightly smaller.
    There are no fast tele zooms made specifically for APS-C. The only options are the variable zooms such as the 55-200mm or the 55-300mm. There’s also the super zoom 18-200mm, but none of these are “fast” lenses.

If you want fast zooms and to cover a large focal range, it’s an easy choice if you shoot with a full frame camera. You just get the 24-70mm and the 70-200mm.
    For us APS-C shooters, it’s a bit more tricky if you want to cover the equivalent field of view. Personally, I went with the 17-50mm and then a 70-200mm.

It’s frustrating that Nikon won’t make a fast tele zoom for their APS-C bodies. Fuji actually has an X-mount lens on their roadmap which is the 50-140mm f/2.8. It would be perfect if Nikon (or Sigma/Tamron) make an F-mount version.