Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Canon 60D for videography

edited August 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Is a Canon 60D suitable for videography/film-shooting, when attached to a 17-40mm f/4L lens?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Sure, the 60D can shoot video, and the 17-40mm lens mounts on the 60D. There's no reason why this combo won’t work.
    I don’t shoot much video, but when I do, I tend to prefer lenses with image stabilization. The 17-40mm doesn’t have IS, which may or may not be an issue for you; depends on what you’re shooting and how you’re shooting it.
  • edited August 2014
    What if it was wedding photography?
  • edited August 2014
    You pose a difficult question to answer because it’s so general.

Does your body/lens combination work for video? Yes.
    Is it suitable for shooting a wedding video? Sure, if that’s the focal range you’re after.

That said, I feel like the general consensus is that the 24-105mm is the better lens for video due to the 3-stop IS and the more versatile focal range.
    If wide-angle video is what you’re looking to shoot, then of course, the 17-40mm is more suitable.

Since there’s no IS, try to stabilize the camera (e.g. steadicam, rails, etc) or at least use a tensioned strap. On a full-frame body, any camera shake may be inconsequential due to the wide angle view, but with the crop factor of an APS-C body, it’s more apparent.
  • I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Good Day to you sir.