How to find the perfect setting on the T3i

edited August 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hi guys. First of all, I'd like to give a small introduction.
My name is Vanessa and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I picked up photography last year and started out with a nice easy to use Canon Powershot SX40 HS.
I have recently upgraded to a Canon Rebel T3i. Although it is not as user friendly and a bit harder to figure out than my powershot, I'm completely in love with the T3i!
I mainly focus on animal photography such as dogs, horses, etc. I'm thinking about investing in the Cheat Cards on this page to help out a bit with the settings on my camera. I would love to hear some feedback on those Cheat Cards before I purchase them!
Right now my pictures look ok but they are still not where I want them. Sometimes I get a really nice shot just to find out later that I accidentally focused on the wrong thing like a piece of grass, or that the moving animal is somewhat blurry and not focused in at all due to the setting. I have been searching the internet for good tips and tricks on how to properly use the camera and what setting I should be using, and this is the only useful page I have found so far!

Comments

• edited August 2014
    The one mode that works well for most things is Auto or P-mode, but it’s hit or miss when it comes to any creative shots. With that said, here are the ways to address the specific issues you mentioned.

1. Make sure you’re in the appropriate Autofocus Mode. Your camera has 3 AF Modes:
    One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, and AI Focus AF

For your purposes, I would suggest AI Servo AF. This is for tracking moving subjects. Place the active AF point over where you want to focus and half-press the shutter. The camera will track the subject as it moves around the frame. When it passes over another AF point, that point will activate and the camera will achieve focus there. For best results, you should try to pan with the subject.

2. Shoot in either Tv or M modes to be able to select your active focus point, otherwise the camera will choose the AF point for you which will always just be whichever one is placed over an object closest to you. You’ll also be able to manually adjust your shutter speed. Adjust your shutter speed according to how fast your subject is moving. Slow it down for still subjects (perhaps 1/60 sec), and speed it up if your subject is moving about (perhaps 1/250 or 1/500). Go even faster if your subject is sprinting.

Keep in mind that the exposure triangle still applies. Raising the shutter speed means you’ll need to compensate for the loss of light by opening the aperture and/or boosting the ISO. If ambient lighting is not sufficient and/or your lens has a small maximum aperture, then it may be impossible to get the shot.