DK-21M magnifying eyepiece

edited July 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Just a little heads-up for people who are used to full frame cameras and find the D3200 finder (or others like it) minimal. As many are probably aware, the view through any DX format camera is relatively small, and the D3200, unlike some higher models, has a diopter adjustment that goes only to +.5.

If, like me, you're farsighted, and if you don't wear glasses when you use the camera, I recommend the Nikon DK-21M eyepiece. This is a slip-over accessory that replaces the eyecup on any square-finder camera and gives you 1.7 (edited correction, that's 1.17) power magnification. That is just enough to give you a larger apparent view, but small enough that on the high-eyepoint finder of the D3200, at least, you can still see the whole frame if you put your eye right against it. Thus you get something reminiscent of the old low-eyepoint Nikon F and its ilk. It also seems to add a little positive diopter, such that for best focus I find I can dial the in-camera diopter back a little.

If you wear glasses when you shoot, you will lose the high eyepoint and not see the whole screen at once, and if you're nearsighted enough to need most or all of the negative diopter, you might have a problem. But if your vision is neutral or farsighted, it's very nice if you occasionally use manual focusing lenses or use MF for macro.

When searching, make sure that the number is the DK-21M, not the plain DK21, which is just the eye cup you already have.

Comments

• Awesome! Thanks! I'll be ordering one of these bad boys for my D5100!
  • edited July 2014
    Ugh, this was a bit of a letdown. The magnification is barely noticeable. Maybe it’s, like you said, more for far-sighted folks. I think I’ll keep it on though, since it protrudes out a bit, it serves to keep my face off the LCD and it can keep the actual viewfinder clear of dust.
  • edited July 2014
    I know the magnification is not much, presumably because any more would lose the full view of the screen. I find it makes a difference even though one could wish it did more.

Sorry if it did not do the job for you. My poor battered eyes need all the help they can get.