Transfering pictures

edited July 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I've already transferred my pictures from my sd card to my computer once, but they didn't quite save how I wanted them to. Problem is when the autoplay option pops back up after I reinsert my sd card, it says no new photos found, so it wont upload them at all. The first time I did it they all transferred into their own folders with dates, but now I can't get them to re transfer at all. I know it's not D3200 specific, but I can't find anywhere else to help me.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Don’t take this the wrong way, but the best thing you can do is have someone who’s more computer literate to come over to help you.

It’s impossible to give you any detailed instructions because you didn’t mention whether you’re running Windows or Mac and what photo application you’re using to import.

That said, here’s what needs to be done:
    You want to import your photos again, but your photo application only looks for new files to import. Usually there’s a setting within your application to toggle whether it wants to look for only new files. You’ll need to toggle that.

Or you can just do it manually with file explorer. Just copy & paste (or drag & drop) the files from the SD card to the directory of your choice.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi,
    I agree with everything @ohyeahar has said, but have you checked that the photos are still on the card? A friend had a similar experience to you. The problem was with the transfer software. On the transfer page there was a little box with ' Delete files after download ' next to it. This box had been ticked, so after every time he downloaded from the card his pictures were deleted automatically.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited July 2014
    Agreeing for the most part here. If this is Windows, when the autoplay window appears, check which of the various options you are choosing. There should be one that allows you simply to open and view the files (opening Windows Explorer, as ohyeahar suggests) rather than transferring them with some other application. You can then choose and copy the files to the folder of your choice without deleting them from the card, or move them (which deletes the card) or whatever you wish. Don't assume that autoplay has chosen the best way to handle your files.

If you get someone with computer savvy to help you, many things are possible. You need to know how to set up folders of your own, to which you will send the pictures. Try to associate the files you're opening with some viewing program. Then, when you get the list of files in Explorer, you can open them in that program, look at them, and decide their fate one at a time.

• edited July 2014
    I'm pretty good with computers. I think it's funny that my comment made me seem computer illiterate. I use Windows 7, and I upload using the stock windows picture viewer. There is no option in the advance settings to choose whether you want to upload them all or not, I checked that. The delete box is not checked, and the pictures are still on my SD card. I'd prefer not to copy and paste into folders as I have hundreds of pictures and it's a pain in the ass to do it that way and make all new folders. I'm just trying to figure out why there's no option to retransfer all my photos.
  • edited July 2014
    Again, don’t take this the wrong way, it’s just that very few people would use Windows Photo Viewer as a photo manager. Anyway, since you’re familiar with creating folders and copy/pasting, then here’s what I would suggest; just do it manually.

You may have hundreds of photos but it’s not like that really matters. Just create one folder and dump them all in there. The EXIF data in each of your photo file contains the date that the shot was taken, so you’re not really losing anything by not grouping your files into folders with the appropriate dates on them.

Alternatively, just manually create folders with the appropriate dates. Using Windows Explorer, you can easily see the dates of each file. Assuming you’ve not taken 1 shot per day over a period of hundreds of days, you shouldn’t have to create that many folders. Assuming you took 30 shots per day over 10 days, that’s 300 files, but it’s still just 10 folders. Perhaps there is an easier solution to your problem, but by the time you’ve figured it out, you would have been able to create and renamed those 10 folders.
  • edited July 2014
    I would go with what oyeahar says; just use Explorer to send whole folders to named folders.

I usually dump a memory card into a folder with the name of the camera and the date of the dump. That's enough to find unprocessed stuff fairly quickly. I always have a couple of different cameras and a few different memory cards, and if I identify the camera, date, and possibly the card, I can keep track pretty well. Processed photos can then be sent to more specific folders.

As an image viewer, I use the free program Irfanview, which is very compact and quick, and includes a plugin that reads Nikon RAW files. You can arrow through a folder very quickly in this program, delete bad photos with a single click, and move them to any of a number of preselected folders with a function key, as well as resizing, printing, and changing formats.

The Nikon ViewNX2 program does many useful things, but it is painfully slow for many. For more routine things, I highly recommend Irfanview.