Focus motor noise

edited July 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
I just bought the D3200 and I'm having problems with the video side of things.
Actually, the video is fine without audio but the microphone picks up every little noise and records it; this includes the motor noise of the focus in AF-A and AF-S if used while recording. Also hand noise from the case is recorded. So although the camera is advertised as HD the sound is not.
I am trying the video on manual focus but I don't know the depth of the focus after the first frame is set. For example, if filming a child and then relocating the view and back to the child (perhaps moving), how will the focus function? Do I have to refocus continually, which will not be of good quality video, since it records the hand noise?
If I reduce the microphone sensitivity settings the input volume is reduced but it still picks up the focus motor/hand/case noise.

What do I do?
Hope you can help.

Comments

• edited July 2014
    The focus motor noise being picked up by the internal mic is actually normal. If you don't want that to happen, there are 2 options.
    1. Use an external mic. This will cost you but the sound will be a lot better.
    2. Manual focus. This takes a lot of skill especially when shooting at a larger aperture.

For your second question, I'm assuming you want to perhaps start the video with focus on the child, then focus on background and then back to the child. You must use manual focus for best results. If you use AF, the camera tends to hunt for focus which makes your video look bad.

If you want to continuously track a moving child, you can with AF. You'll need to use AF-F for focus mode and subject tracking for AF-area mode, but you will pick up the focus motor noise if you use the internal mic.