White Balance

edited June 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hi Moose, I have your cheat sheets. Thanks for doing that as I am new to the SLR world.

The sheets do not mention anything about the white balancing setting. Should I keep it on Auto Balance?

Thanks, Kathy

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Hi Kathy,

For the majority of subjects the auto white balance does a great job. Indoor subjects lit by tungsten or fluorescent lights suffer with auto, so try some of the presets. When you are confident, you can experiment with custom white balance.

If you shoot in RAW rather than JPG, it doesn't matter which white balance you use because you can change it in post processing with DPP software that should have come with your camera.

Welcome to the world of SLR and happy shooting.

Regards,
    PBked
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks PBked, I appreciate it!

Kathy
  • Hey @kgrazioli - You're very welcome. As always, @PBked provided excellent advice. Stick with auto unless under heavy tungsten or fluorescent lighting, indoors...at night. In that case, utilize the tungsten or fluorescent white balance settings. I like shooting in RAW and then manipulating the white balance in Lightroom. You can do bulk edits, meaning if you shot a bunch of photos indoors with the same lighting, you can apply the white balance settings to all the photos at once. All the best!