Video recording a concert rehersal

edited June 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
In a little over a week I'm going to be video recording concert tour rehearsals for my partners band at a studio rehearsal space in LA. This will essentially be full show rehearsals with FOH PA and lights. I already have audio covered as I'm more of an audio guy than video guy. I purchased a T3i back in December and have had a lot of fun getting to know how to take good photos with it (thanks to your camera tips PDF), but I'm still somewhat lost on video.

I have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with it. I also have a 75-300mm lens. I forget the model but it's the one that costs around $250 retail. I also just purchased the thrifty nifty fifty prime lens on Amazon and that should be here today.

I plan on positioning the camera in a location where I get a full shot of the stage and PA. I don't plan on moving the camera once it's setup on the tripod. I'm not sure what settings to use.

I was thinking 1080p 24fps for a smooth video. I've been told not to use auto white balance as the camera will try and correct the bright colorful lights to bright white lights. Is this correct? Should I use auto ISO? Should I be concerned with the sensor overheating? The room will be air conditioned.

I have 3 32gb Transcend class 10 SDHC cards as well as a 64gb Transcend class 10 SDXC. I'm thinking that should be enough for several hours of footage, plus after each day I can dump the files onto my iMac and re-use the cards. I plan on formatting them all in the camera as I've heard that can eliminate some video issues.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!