Distortion control lens profile

edited July 2014 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Hi all.
I just downloaded a whole afternoon worth of family photos from my Nikon D3200. Some of them are really quite good for my amateurishness. When I tried to adjust them on the computer I got a message saying, " these images can neither be displayed as a raw image nor edited because the distortion control lens profiles used on them are not found". Any help please?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Not sure, in part because I'm not sure what program you are using.

The first thing I'd do is try reading the files again. If you were linking to the camera, try reading the card directly. If you were reading the card directly, try reinserting it or using a different reader, or linking to the camera. SD cards seem to be a little temperamental. Sometimes they need to be reinserted, or sometimes one computer will read them differently. I have a card reader for my desktop that randomly claims a card is write protected when it is not, and the ViewNX2 program on one computer claims files are unsupported where the same program on another picks them right up.

If no luck with getting a better read, the first thing I'd do is make sure the files are copied somewhere safe, like to the hard drive or elsewhere. That way, whatever happens, you will still have the original copies.

If the camera itself can still preview the NEF files, try doing a JPG conversion in camera. You can copy all the files to JPG without disturbing the originals, and although that limits your post processing possibilities, at least you have something you can work with.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no way you can process a NEF file in the camera and save it again as a NEF; it always saves as a JPG.

You can also get other programs, such as the freeware Irfanview, which will read a Nikon NEF file (with a plugin) and convert it to any of a number of other formats including JPG and TIFF.

e.t.a while looking around for further info I find you posted on another forum, and it seems that the problem was a corrupted NX program which is now working OK. Can you confirm, just for the record?