Red hair children

edited June 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hello, when I take my pictures in auto, indoor, I get red hair on my children. It's annoying, because they do not have red hair. I don't know how to fix it after or before. It seems to happen when the flash is on. Outside, the pictures are fine.

Comments

• Turn off your flash. If you're going to shoot in Auto, then turn the dial to the no-flash mode.
    The on-camera flash should almost never be used unless for fill-flash. Otherwise, the harsh lighting causes all sorts of weird color and exposure issues.
  • edited June 2014
    No flash results in bad image quality most of the time, and difficulty focussing.
  • edited June 2014
    The flash has no effect on the AF performance. It doesn't fire when you focus. Only the AF-assist lamp will fire (if you have that toggled on).

Anyway, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you that taking shots without the flash results in poor image quality.

If you're indoors, then shoot at high ISO. Even ISO 6400 looks fine if you're making 4x6 prints. This should enable fast enough shutter speeds for you. Of course, shoot with the aperture wide open. If you're still not getting good shots, then your lens is not fast enough and/or there's simply not enough light.

If you insist on using flash, the best thing you can do is buy an external flash unit so you can bounce it off the ceiling. This results in a much more natural looking effect.
    You can also try bouncing the on-camera flash by angling a piece of white card or paper in front of your flash. Since this essentially lowers the flash output, you may have to boost your exposure compensation.