Best lens for newborn photography

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
New 60D owner here and budding photographer. My 60D came with the 18-135mm lens, but I'm thinking of getting another lens to capture those adorable newborn photos...you know the type, crisp focus with smooth bokeh.

Anyway, I was looking at the the 50mm f/1.8, but I've been reading online about the 60D's crop sensor and others recommending a 35mm lens. What would you recommend?

I've also seen the 24-70mm f/2.8L recommended, but I don't have the cash for it now. My goal is to start a photography business focusing on newborns and children. I shoot primarily indoors using natural light whenever possible. When it comes to capturing kids on camera, I also need something that's fast. My one-year old never sits still.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Howdy @Allegory19 - Well it sounds like you've done your research. :)

Yes, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF II can feel a little long when shooting indoors or in tight spaces. As I'm sure you're already aware of, the 60D has a crop factor of 1.6x which means a 50mm lens has the same field of view as an 80mm lens mounted to a full frame DSLR or film SLR.

Yes, the 24-70mm f/2.8L (see here) is a fantastic portrait lens with unbelievable sharpness and color tonality.

As for recommendations for the types of subjects and situations you plan on shooting the most, I would think about the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM or the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM (see here) has the same focal length as the 50mm f/1.8, but it's sharper, it produces smoother bokeh and it's quicker to focus (a big plus when shooting active kids). For newborn shots and portraits of children, you really shouldn't have any issues with the longer focal length when composing shoots indoors. If you plan on photographing small groups (2 to 5 people), it'll be much more difficult to get everyone in the frame when shooting in a smaller sized room.

If you need a bit more flexibility, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (see here) will give you the ability to zoom from 17mm to 50mm while maintaining a low f/2.8 aperture. It's not as sharp or as fast as the 50mm f/1.4, but it will free you up a bit when composing shots indoors.

In addition to a "bright" lens, you might also want to think about adding an external speedlite (flash). A speedlite will allow you to bounce the flash off a ceiling rather than directly at your subject. The bounce effect spreads the light evenly throughout the room, giving you more natural looking shots indoors. It can also be used as fill light when shooting portraits outdoors in bright light. In the beginning you can get by with the Canon 270EX or the 320EX.

The 270EX II (see here) is super portable and can handle bouncing light in smaller sized rooms.

The 320EX (see here) adds more power, faster shot to shot speeds and the ability to bounce light when shooting vertically.

That should get you going in the right direction. Hope it all makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    Awesome, thanks so much for the information...now I just have to decide which one to go with. Tough decision! I'll also check out the speedlite. It sounds like a smart decision, although I have to admit I know next to nothing about flashes, which is terrible because isn't photography all about light? Looks like I have more reading to do...
  • @Allegory19 - Yep, photography is like one big chess match. :) As for external flashes, don't be scared. The speedlite's offered by Canon sync beautifully with the 60D, which means for the most part you can just slide it onto the hotshoe and let it go to work. Happy shooting! :)
  • Another photography friend of mine just recommended the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 over the Tamron. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And, the speedlite sounds easy enough. I don't know what I'm so apprehensive about. Maybe it's because my first "professional" shoot is March 31st and I want to at least LOOK like a professional. It's for a friend and I'm not charging, but still...
  • Howdy @Allegory19 - Having handled both, I can tell you that they are very similar. The Sigma does have better build quality and smoother bokeh. Focus speed and accuracy is really close between the two, however, Sigma's focusing motor is much quieter.

In terms of optical quality and sharpness, it's extremely close. In my experiences with both lenses, Tamron was slightly sharper when shot wide open (f/2.8), however, Sigma tended to get sharper around f/4. Honestly, when things are this close it's hard to say which one has "better" image quality.

Either lens is capable of capturing stunning (pro level) images. Ultimately it'll come down to your experience and ability to creatively capture the shot. In the words of Ansel Adams..."The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."

Happy shooting! :)
  • Awesome. Thanks so much for your professional opinion. Looks like I have more thinking to do.
  • edited March 2012
    I have a the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 with vibration compensation (same as image stabilization). The 50mm is great, but the Tamron gives you a bit more range. Just thought I'd give my two cents. - Joe
  • Thanks Joe. I actually bought both the Canon 50mm f1.8 and the Sigma 17-50mm. So far I'm loving the 50mm because it's so easy to use. I still need to figure out the Sigma more. Any shooting tips or lens settings you like for portraiture I'd love to hear.
  • @Allegory19 - Did you end up going with a speedlite or are you just using natural light?
  • Right now I'm just going with natural light, but will be adding a speedlite to my repertoire in the near future. I take that back, I also just got a light kit from Cowboy studios and I'm experimenting with those lights too. It's been fun so far. I'm spending my days reading everything I can about photography and my nights testing out what I've read. Lots to learn :)
  • edited March 2012
    @Atssjoe - Do you like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens with VC? I notice they sell the same lens without VC. Would you recommend the VC and paying the extra $100?
  • Howdy @zonaman - The vibration compensation (VC) does help when you have subjects that can remain still throughout the shot. If you're trying to capture moving subjects in low light, it really won't do anything for you. Happy shooting! :)
  • Moose, what would be the best lens or setup for shooting pictures of subjects moving indoors in lower light? I have a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens and a speedlight 320EX lens arriving tomorrow from BHPhoto. I have tried in the past and pictures are blurry but not with this equipment yet - I have a Canon 60D. Also, what settings would you use for white balance? AWB, tungsten lighting? Last question, if you are using the speedlight would the white balance be a different setting then? Thanks Moose!