Flash help - Deciding between the 430EX II, 580EX II or the 600EX-RT

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have recently purchased my first DSLR, the 60D. I thought about going with the 5D Mark II, but felt it would be too intense for something I currently consider a hobby.

I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-250mm zoom lens. I plan on purchasing a Canon 100mm USM Macro lens because I love macro photography...I keep zooming into things!

I need help regarding an external flash to purchase. I can't make up my mind between the 430EX II, 580EX II or the 600EX-RT.

Essentially money is no object, but I do not want to go ahead and buy a 600 EX if I cannot use any of the added functions that it has because my camera does not support it. I just cannot make up my mind! Is there any reason to buy a 600EX-RT or 580EX II over the 430EX II?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! - Leo

Comments

• Howdy @L2000 - Congrats on the 60D and welcome to the forum! In regards to external speedlite choices, it ultimately comes down to your interest and knowledge of flash photography.

If you're just getting started with flash photography, the 430EX II (see here) would be more than sufficient for the majority of your shots...groups, portraits, flash bounced off a ceiling for more even coverage, etc...

If looking to experiment with wireless (off camera flash lighting), then the 580EX II or the 600EX-RT would be the next best choice. However, it does take some strong technical knowledge to work with wireless flash. The Strobist blog is a great place to start if you're looking to find more information on advanced flash photography.

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited July 2012
    I was going to get a macro lens but my mate showed me a macro lens tube. It only cost $6 and works great.
  • edited August 2012
    The Canon 430 EX II does work extremely well and also communicates wirelessly with the 60D.