Best results for shooting indoors

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I was talking with a fellow T2i owner over on my Facebook page and she was wondering which setting are best for shooting indoors. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

Shaundra's Question: This is probably such a silly question but what does it mean when people say you should shoot in "manual mode"? I've had my T2i for about a year and almost always use the AV or Auto mode. I'm interested in shooting pictures inside and I've read that in order to achieve the best photo, you should shoot in manual.

Moose's Answer: Manual mode represents the 'M' icon on the mode dial. When shooting in this mode you control every aspect of the exposure. Unless you fully understand how shutter speed and aperture work together to capture a shot, I would stay away from that mode.

If you want to dramatically improve the look of your indoor shots, you'll need an external flash. Most people think an external flash just gives you more flash power...this is true, but an external flash also gives you the ability to point the flash head towards the ceiling rather than directly at your subject. By bouncing the light off a ceiling, your indoor shots will look much more natural. Whether it's group shots, portraits or food, an external flash that is bounced will give you "daytime" like shots indoors. The Canon 320EX is a great starter speedlight. Simply slide it onto the hotshoe and let it go to work.