Changing ISO before shooting in Aperture Priority

edited April 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am a DSLR newbie. I was taking photos inside a dimly lit church with my ISO set to 800 (using a 50mm lens ), and I'm happy with the photos. I walked out into a brightly lit sunny courtyard, set the camera to Aperture Priority, and didn't touch the ISO believing that in Aperture Priority the camera automatically sets proper ISO for the f-stop I've selected.

I guess that is not the case. All my outdoor photos in aperture priority are overexposed and still show ISO 800! So I guess in aperture priority I need to manually re-adjust the ISO to 100 or 200.

So then the correct ISO is not automatically set when using Aperture Priority or Shutter priority, right?

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi,
    Your Auto ISO is switched off. Go to the ISO sensitivity menu and select ON for Auto ISO. See pages 71 and 132 in your manual.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited May 2014
    To be clear, you’ll always need to manually adjust your ISO if Auto-ISO is off, unless you’re shooting outside the P, S, A, and M modes.

Remember to set your ISO to 100 if turning on Auto-ISO. The ISO you choose is actually the minimum ISO the camera will try to use. So with Auto-ISO on and the ISO set to 800, the camera will never drop below ISO 800.