Disabling Focus Rectangle

edited April 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hi. This may seem like a silly question, but I keep finding that while I'm trying to shoot something the focus rectangle puts everything clear and crisp, but everything else is blurry. If there is an object right beside my main object that I want just as crisp, I'm not able to get this shot due to the white focus rectangle. I enjoy the blurred effect in the background most of the time, but I also would like a whole shot to be clean and crisp. I'm thinking the focus rectangle is what's preventing this?

Please let me know what I can do. Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Hi,
    You are shooting using live view. Is there a reason for this, because I cannot think of many reasons why anyone would use live view on a DSLR because there are so many problems that can arise.
    However, to sort your problem, you must first realize that what you call the focus rectangle is actually the magnifying frame. What does the focussing are the AF points. You can select 1 or all of them depending on where you want to focus in your frame. This is best observed by using Quick mode when using live view.
    I think you should try to use the viewfinder more as this is how a DSLR performs best. The introduction of live view was intended to woo point and shoot users to a more expensive camera system. Yes, it does have some uses (photographing still life subjects), but on the whole it is more trouble than it is worth.
    I'm sorry if I sound as though I'm on a soapbox, but live view is not the best use of a DSLR.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • edited April 2014
    PBked,

Ah, I always use live view. I figured I could see the outcome/detail of my picture better this way. Obviously, I am new at this, so I did not know. I will use the viewfinder and research the magnifying frame when in Quick mode.

I'm here for help and constructive criticism so stand on a soapbox all you'd like. Thanks for the feedback and info.

Sarah