Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Fireworks

edited March 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi all,
In about a month I will be taking my 6 year old to Disney. I'm hoping to get some really good shots of fireworks. What are some concerns I should be looking for? What's a desired opening or timing techniques I should know? I will be taking a tripod, and I have a 18-200mm and a 28-105mm lens.
Thanks,
Sergio

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Hi again Sergio,
    You have the nifty-fifty which would also work well. However, the 18-200mm used at wide angle of 18mm would be my choice.
    You have a tripod so camera shake should not be a problem, but remember to switch off the IS on the lens when using a tripod. As for settings, there are dozens of combinations but here is a suggestion:
    ISO set to 100, aperture of f/16, shutter between 2 and 6 seconds in bulb mode. The average duration of a firework burst is between 2 and 6 seconds. As a rule of thumb, press the shutter when the firework explodes and release it when the firework starts to fade. You will probably find that the time is about 4 - 5 seconds.
    If you have not taken fireworks before, can I suggest an experiment? Go to your local store and buy some sparklers. Set your camera up with the settings one night as I have suggested and take pictures of the sparklers. If you don't like the results, work around my settings until you get clear pictures that you are happy with and make a note of the settings. This may help you when shooting your fireworks at Disneyland.
    Best regards,
    PBked