Dim/Dull images in Auto

edited March 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Sometimes I just want to shoot in Auto, but the images I get all are dull/dark, with little life or brightness to them. I have reset the camera, loaded the latest firmware (1.02) and been through the menu with a fine toothed comb. When I load these images into PSP x5 or Lightroom they look the same; dull/dim/darker. Even the Auto adjustment in these two programs do a better job in correcting the image than what this camera is taking. Does anyone know of anything that can brighten up the Auto images? It really looks like it could use at least a +2 exposure compensation. I really hate to think I have a camera that can't perform a basic function such as this, one that beginners will be using first. I am at my wits end, as I really do like to shoot in lazy Auto at times.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Getting out of Auto would be the best thing you can do, but I totally understand if you feel you’re not ready. If so, here’s what you should do:
    Turn your mode dial P (Program) mode.
    Turn on Auto-ISO. Minimum shutter 1/100 (or whatever you feel is fast enough to eliminate camera and subject blur). Maximum ISO 6400.
    Program Mode + Auto ISO = Auto mode
    Now, you can adjust the exposure compensation. You can do so via the info menu or press the exposure compensation button and rotate the rear dial.

These are instructions to overexpose. I have a feeling that while you think this is the solution, I doubt that this is exactly what you’re looking to do. Best advice I can give you is to learn to use your camera’s P, A, and S modes. These are semi-auto modes that are very easy to pick-up and will drastically improve your shots.