Bower 500mm f/8 lens

edited February 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
A place where I can get help! I have a Nikon D3200 (bought myself an entire package for Christmas and birthday) that includes a Bower 500mm f/8 lens and when I take a picture it comes out black. So my question is, what settings am I supposed to use with the lens? My daughters play Lacrosse and the season is coming upon us quickly and I would love to use my "obnoxious" lens, as they call it. My 200mm lens has not disappointed, but sometimes I need to get closer. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Hi,
    I assume that you know this is a manual focus lens only. If you try to use P,A,S or Auto modes you will only get black pictures. Focus and metering have to be done manually in M mode.
    If you know all this already, I apologise and I don't have an answer for your problem.
    PBked
  • edited February 2014
    I didn't know that! I'm quite illiterate with this lens and I cannot seem to find any information online. If you could be so kind and give me step by step instructions I would be forever grateful.
  • edited February 2014
    Hi again,
    To be honest, it would be impossible for me to give you the benefit of 50 years experience in the pages of this forum. However, here are a few things to think about.
    1) Only consider using this lens with a sturdy tripod.
    2) Set your camera to M manual mode.
    3) You can set your ISO to any figure in the range, but you cannot use Auto ISO. ISO 200-800 would be a safe place to start.
    4) You have to focus manually so do this at the maximum aperture of f/8 (I hope you've got good eyesight!).
    5) Set your aperture to f/8 and your shutter to 1/500 or more if you are not using a tripod, or slower if using a tripod.
    6) On a bright, sunny day a setting of f/8-1/125 and ISO 200 or f/16-1/125 and ISO 100 should give a reasonable exposure on any camera.
    7) Review your shots. If they are too dark then increase your ISO or reduce your shutter speed. If they are too bright then do the reverse.
    8) Consider buying a second-hand exposure meter from a good photo store. This will enable you to get exposure values from the existing lighting conditions.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Regards,
    PBked