50mm lens

edited February 2014 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
Moose, I am looking at a 50mm prime lens as one of my first non-kit lenses for my D3100. I went to our local camera shop and the salesmen suggested the Sigma Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus lens for Nikon AF, saying it was a better lens than the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens. I'm looking for some more opinions on this. I'm okay with paying more for a lens if it's worth the difference, but is the Sigma worth the $200 difference for my camera?
Kate

Comments

• edited February 2014
    Hi Kate3e,
    I can't speak for your Nikon, but a friend has just bought the Canon version. I have the Canon f/1.4 and so we compared performance. The Sigma came out on top in virtually all areas. It focussed faster, was optically superior and gave better bokeh than my Canon. Obviously, you want to hear from Nikon owners, but I hope this helps a little.
    Best regards, PBked
  • Thanks PBked, I appreciate your opinion also. When your new to DSLR's any help is great.
  • edited February 2014
    Hi there.
    I'm looking at getting 50mm lens in the near future, so Kate3e thanks for the question. I will await Moose's reply with interest.
    I have been looking at the Nikon f/1.8 and f/1.4 as well as the Sigma f/1.4. At the moment I'm tending to favor the Nikon f/1.4, but I have not yet decided. Here is an interesting review of these lenses which you might find helpful. I hope it's ok to post the link.

• Thanks PaulsPics the you tube review was interesting.
  • edited September 2015
    Are there cheat sheets for the 50mm f/1.8D lens, or can I purchase 50mm f/1.8 G cheat sheets?
  • edited September 2015
    I think the only thing you'll find different with the 50mm f/1.8 D is that it does not auto focus with any recent DX camera except the D7xxx family. So obviously any references to AF modes and the like must be disregarded.

If you already have the lens, then you already are well acquainted with the challenge of getting good focus with the small DX screen. If you're shopping for one, be aware that manual focusing can be hit or miss. It's possible to do very well, and the shots will be fine when they're right, but you must take care, and expect a few misses.
  • Hi @kema26 -The exposure settings will work with the 50mm f/1.8D, but like @bruto mentioned, it lacks autofocus. So you'll have to disregard the focus settings, but other than that everything else will translate. All the best!