Memory Card Error

edited January 2014 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
We own a Nikon D3100 and have had this error now with two separate memory cards within the last month. We will take pictures and they will be showing on the camera preview and then we go to upload them and it says that there are no pictures on the card. After taking it out of the computer we put it back in the camera and it says no images. I have been able to go to a shop and use their data recovery and have retrieved the pictures but it's expensive to do that. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I uploading them incorrectly or is there something wrong with my camera? Thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi, here are a few things to check:
    1) Are you using a reputable brand of card like Sandisk?
    2) Is the lock switch on the side of the card set to on. If it is on, the card cannot be formatted, pictures deleted or recorded. Your pictures will be on the internal memory buffer.
    3) Do you format your cards in camera? If not, you should always do so.

If the above have been checked or your cards are two separate brands, then I would suggest a camera fault.
    To save your pennies, download 'Recuva' from the internet. It is a free program which is pretty good at retrieving files from computers, memory cards and flash drives.
    Please get back and let us know how you find out.
    Regards, PBked