Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Macro photography

edited January 2014 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
How do you get photos of butterflies and other insects with the Canon 60D with 50mm f/1.8 and Raynox 250? If I get too close they fly away. What settings do I use? Do I use auto focus?
Thank you!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi,
    Kill them first!! Seriously, I have always had the same trouble. I have started to believe that all those lovely close-ups of spiders, butterflies and bugs are either plastic or drugged in some way.
    I would tend to use manual focus for anything close up.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited April 2014
    I actually got a bunch of butterfly pictures last year and had the same problem at first. I had the 50mm lens and they kept flying away. I went out an got the 18-135mm lens just so I didn't have to get too close. I try to find an area that they land on a lot and focus on that. Then when the butterfly comes back I only have to adjust a little bit. I always try to get the flower and everything in the picture clear so as far as settings at 1/125 seconds and f/16 should be good. If I knew how to add a picture to show you I would.