Photographing artwork for high quality prints

edited January 2014 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hi, so happy to be here! I just bought the Canon T3i and I'm loving it. My holiday photos were taken to the next level. I am a complete newbie, so I had a few blurry pictures in there, but the ones that were sharp were great.

I am a little lost though in terms of what lens I should get to photograph my art work, which is the main reason I bought the camera. I keep getting asked for prints of my art work and I need a really sharp high resolution image in order to make prints. Any suggestions on a good lens? I was thinking of getting the 50mm f/1.8. I currently have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.

Thank you in advance,
Stephanie

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi Stephanie,
    The 50mm f/1.8 is a sharp lens and has the benefit of that large aperture. However, for artwork, I usually resort to a 60mm macro prime lens. The optical clarity is superb.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited January 2014
    Hi again,
    I meant to specify that the lens I am talking about is the 60mm macro EF-s lens. The only downside is that it only works on cropped sensor cameras like yours. If you upgraded to full frame at some point, you cannot use this lens.
    For a good review look up 'Ken Rockwell' on the internet.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks so much! :)