Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Fisheye and wide angle lens suggestions

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
Any good suggestions on both fisheye lens and wide angle lens? What's the difference between the two, anyway?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi @_bethany - A fisheye lens is just an extreme wide angle lens which emulates a fish's ability to see 180 degrees around itself. Also the lens is the shape of a fish eye with the front element literally bulging up from the casing. Obviously the effect of this lens creates a huge amount of barrel distortion.

A wide angle lens is a lens less than 35-50mm. This is because the human eye falls between these values. So for Canon you will typically see something like 10-22mm which is wider than the eye can see. Most zoom lenses will give you a range starting from 18mm to 135, 200, 250, 270mm so that you can take close-up shots and average wide angle shots.

The fish eye lens is a speciality lens and not something you would use every day, whereas a wide angle lens has many uses, like group work or interiors. Hope you can follow all this. Regards - PBked
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the tips @PBked. @Moose - Would you say that the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 is the best overall wide angle lens? I'm looking for one that I could use for a while and in multiple situations. Thanks :) - Bethany
  • @Moose Thank you for the suggestion. I'm looking into purchasing that lens. Do you have any suggestions for a good fisheye lens? Much appreciated :)
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks @Moose for all your help. What do you think about either the Bower or Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens? They seem to have the same specs and are around the same price (which is pretty cheap). Do you think purchasing any one of those are worth it??
  • @Moose Will the circular polarizer filter you mentioned above fit the Tamron 10-24mm? I'm looking into purchasing these two. Thanks :)
  • edited May 2012
  • edited May 2012
    Thank you so much for the advice @Moose. I've been having difficulty getting the right exposure when shooting the sky. Sometimes the photo is completely white and I believe it has to do with the brightness of the sky. What settings would be appropriate for a sunrise shoot? Sunset shoot?
  • edited May 2012
  • @Moose- would I be better off purchasing the graduated ND filter or the circular polarizer?
  • Or just a regular ND filter?? Appreciate the help :)