Nikon 35mm f/1.8 cheat sheets and HDR

edited December 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3200 Forum
Hi Moose.

I was wondering if you are planning to do cheat sheets for the 35mm f/1.8?

What's the best way to take HDR shots with the D3200?

Cheers and thanks in advance from the UK.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hey @jnknsrbrt - Yep, I sure am. They should be out very soon! I'm putting the finishing touches on them as I write this.

Unfortunately the D3200 doesn't come with an Auto Bracketing feature like the D5200 or D5300. So you'll have to adjust the exposure compensation yourself to get the three shots needed for an HDR image.

Just jump into Aperture priority (A), set your f-number to f/8, set your ISO to 100 and then take your first shot. Next, press the +/- button and rotate the command dial at the same time. On the screen, location the exposure compensation area and adjust it to +2. Take your second shot. Then follow the same steps, but rotate the command dial the other way to -2. Finally, take your third shot.

In doing this, you should have three images of the same scene. A normal exposure, an over exposure (bright image) and an underexposure (dark image). You then take these three images and run them through HDR software. A popular one is photomatix. The software will combine the three images and give you a single image with more dynamic range (more shadow and highlight detail).

If you purchased the Nikon D3200 and 18-55mm cheat cards, there are step-by-step instructions specifically for HDR which goes into more detail. The 35mm f/1.8G cheat card pack that I'm working on, will also have instructions for HDR.

All the best! :)
  • edited February 2014
    Are the D3200 cheat cards the same as the D3100 cheat cards? I bought the ones for the D3100, but I also own a D3200.
  • Hey @sbaker63 - There are some minor differences in how certain settings are accessed, but by and large they are very similar. All the best!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Moose, great website and perfect for a newbie like me! Can you tell me if you plan on producing any cheat sheets for the 50mm version of this lens and whether you would recommend the 35mm over the 50mm? If so, why?

Paul
  • Hey @Clubhouse (Paul) - Yep, I'm actually finishing up a set for the 35mm and 50mm f/1.8G lenses. They should be out very soon.

The 35mm and 50mm are equal in terms of performance and sharpness. The deciding factor between the two is the focal length. If most of your shots will be taken in smaller sized rooms/spaces (say 15'x15' or smaller) or within normal talking distance then go with the 35mm. Otherwise, I'd go with the 50mm. The 50mm gives you a little more distance between you and your subject. All the best!