Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

The dirty 30mm vs the Nifty 50mm

edited December 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have been getting increasingly confused about which is a better prime lens to buy, and which will be auto focus and easy to use. Basically I want to get some clean shots of artwork for my laptop. I am currently using a 18-200mm with super results, but it isn't as sharp as I would like. What lens can I use to get clear, stunning results?
I hear the sigma 30mm f/1.4 is the bomb at f/2.8, and is really sharp crisp even at the edges. Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I am going to give the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Lens a try. I did some checking and the prime lens is supposed to be close to your own vision. A 30mm for a f/1.6 frame camera is close about 48mm where as if I had a full frame camera (out of my budget) I would use a 50mm lens. I look forward to trying it out. The Sigma lens is supposed to be great compared to the other lenses out there, according to youtube. The f/1.4-2.8 f is better than the Canon L series, but at about f/8 Cannon comes back with a vengeance.

It's amazing what you can find out with google and a bit of time! Ha!
  • edited December 2013
    Hi there,
    The Sigma is indeed a superb lens, however, it would not be my choice for shots of artwork.
    I would go for something like a 60mm or 100mm macro. Just my personal choice, so have fun with your 30mm.
    Regards, PBked