Auto-exposure error message

edited December 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
My Nikon D5100 is displaying an "Auto-exposure" error message. The message is displayed in Auto mode with the lens (AF-S NIKKOR 18-55MM f/3.5-5.6G) set to auto and the "VR" set to on. In these settings the error message displayed renders the camera completely in-operable. However, when I switch to full Manual mode on the camera settings and the lens setting, the display is for the usual imaging menu but with the "Auto-exposure" message is displayed at the top. In this mode I can take pictures fine by manually focusing the lens, but when I set the lens to Auto and the "VR" to on, the camera automatically focuses on any subject I train to. After I press the shutter button, no picture is taken.

I have reinstalled another main board because the original board had been destroyed by continuous insertion and removal of the SD card and the connectors in the SD card slot were broken. I did this myself at home and therefor I assume the warranty is now void. I did this simple repair myself because we don't have a service center in Kampala, Uganda, and now no service center will touch it. I also updated the firmware once the new board was installed from the Nikon website and this went very smoothly.

Note that the "Auto-exposure" error started occurring after I had installed the new board before the firmware update and even after the firmware update.