Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Issues using SB-700

edited December 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi there,

I need help! My D5100 stopped firing the on-camera flash unit (SB 700) that I've got. I used to just be able to mount it on and start shooting.

I changed the batteries recently and don't know why it's not firing. When I press the red button on the flash, it fires. When I point and focus the camera on my subject the flash seems to be doing nothing!

How can I get my D5100 to start talking to the SB700 again?

I'm lost and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Doro

Comments

• Hey @Doro,

I would jump into the D5100 menu and reset all the settings to factory default. Make sure all the batteries are charged and then mount the SB-700 to the hot shoe.

Make sure the switch on the back of the SB-700 is in TTL mode, then put your camera in 'P' (program) mode and take a couple test shots indoors.

If that doesn't work, you might try cleaning the contacts on your camera and on the flash with a q-tip and a bit of rubbing alcohol.

Give it a shot and let me know if you get it straightened out. All the best!