How to get less noise in pictures

edited December 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I have the Canon T3i with the kit lens, and I just can't seem to get clearer pictures. The pictures look okay in the camera, but when I put them on my computer to edit there's noise when I zoom in. How can I prevent this from happening? There isn't a video on this subject on youtube for some reason.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Here are a few reasons you make have noise on your photos:
    A) Your ISO is set way too high. Set it to Auto or restricted ISO (Auto 800).
    B) Your resolution is set too low; choose large, fine for Jpg.
  • edited December 2013
    When I'm outside I never put my ISO over 200 and I shoot in Raw. I don't use jpg because I want to do my editing in post.
  • edited December 2013
    Hi again.
    You will always notice noise more in RAW pictures because no processing is carried out in-camera. However, I am at a loss as to why you have excessive noise. Perhaps someone else has some ideas.
  • edited December 2013
    I was just talking with a friend about your problem. One of his questions was 'Does he live in a hot climate?'. I do not know the answer, but he says that heat can cause noise in pictures. In a hot climate, try to keep the camera as cool as possible and resist the temptation to snap away too rigorously. Even in a moderate climate, using a camera straight from the inside of a car can also produce noise.
    He asked what your intended output is to be; large prints or just on your monitor display? In other words, at normal resolution on your screen or on an 8x10 print is the noise apparent or is it acceptable? You mention that you zoom in to sharpen pictures, but by how much? Even good pictures can display noise if you zoom in too much. Hope this helps, but if not, I will keep looking for a solution.
    PBked