Zoom in auto mode causing damage

edited December 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am using the AF-S DX Zoom 18-55mm lens with my D3100.
Am I ok to use the zoom function (turning the rotatory section of the lens) when the 'auto' switch is selected on the actual lens?
The reason I ask is because the autofocus mechanism broke after 5 minutes of me setting the camera and lens up and I know I was zooming in and out when the 'Auto' switch was in the on (A) position. I'm new to the photography game and I'm only use to using mobile cameras and old school cameras with film, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Sam,

The A on your lens enables the auto focus mode and has nothing to do with the zoom function of your lens. Putting the lens in A mode simply means that when you half press the shutter the camera will focus automatically for you. If you zoom in/out after that I would suggest you half press the shutter again just to ensure your subject is in pin sharp focus.

Hope that helps.
  • edited December 2013
    Al, thanks for your response. So to confirm, you're saying that I can use the manual zoom on the lens when the lens switch is on auto focus mode "A" without damaging the auto focus motor? It must have been a coincidence that mine broke first time around?
  • edited December 2013
    Sam,

I mainly use Aperture Priority (A on the mode wheel) when shooting. I leave both my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens on A for auto focus and VR on to avoid camera shake. I have rarely used any of the manual modes on my D3100; I'm not that proficient of a photographer yet!

So with my camera set to Aperture Priority and my lens set to A with VR on, I compose my shot. I manually zoom in or out to frame the shot how I want it, half press to obtain focus and then fully depress to fire the shutter. I've been doing this since I first had the camera, about 2 years ago, and have never encountered the problem you describe at the beginning of your post.

Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2013
    Ok, thanks. I must have had a faulty camera.