Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Nighttime Car Photos

edited November 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I just found your site and it looks amazing for photos, information and help. Last night I bought the cheat sheets which will help me in the future.

Equipment I have: Canon T2i, 18-55mm lens, 55-250mm lens, wireless remote and tripod. I like shooting in manual mode as it is a challenge.

So my question: I am at a car show full of hot rods and I want to take photos at night of them driving by. Problem is that even when I use a tripod they still come out blurry to the point of streaking. I do not mind the streaked photo as I have 2 cool shots I did, but I would like the non-streaked blurry free photo at night. Any help on this?

Also, for still, up close car photos I am looking at getting the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard AutoFocus Lens. I like the lower F/Stop and would use it instead of my 18-55mm. Is this a good idea?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Michael

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Hi,
    I am assuming that you are using a panning technique and using continuous shooting. What angle are you shooting from? Rather than at right-angles to the cars, try to find a position where the cars are coming towards you, maybe at a slight angle. Do remember to switch off your IS if the camera is mounted on a tripod.
    The 55-250mm is an underrated lens, but it does not have USM and so it is a little slower to focus. Make sure you have AI Servo selected as your shooting mode.
    The 50mm f/1.4 is a good lens to have, but you could also consider the Sigma version which has had excellent reviews.
    Regards, PBked