Creative/Image Zone Modes versus Advanced Exposure Modes

edited November 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hello everybody, good day!

Are there very big/notable results or differences when advanced exposure modes (P, Tv, Av. M, A-dep) are used versus the creative/image zone modes (portrait, close-up, sports, landscape)?

When would be the best time to use the creative/image zone modes over the advanced exposure modes?

By the way, I tried the creative blur effect using the 18-55mm lens, but looks like the blur effect doesn't work on this lens?

Thanks for all your help and tips!

Comments

• edited November 2013
    @shutterfly - The simple answer is yes. That's the reason they are called the advanced modes. It is because you can alter the settings and influence the outcomes. The other creative modes provide a quick fix other than full auto and although the results can be good, they are no substitute for having control over your photography.

Many digital cameras ship with scene or intelligent scene modes these days and they are getting better, but my wife's camera intelligently chose beach when she was photographing inside a church the other day!

If you bought a DSLR, then I imagine you wanted to improve your photographic skills. Scene modes, in my opinion, are for people who want a point and shoot simplicity for taking snapshots. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Best regards, PBked
  • Hey @shutterfly - Yes, there are big differences between the creative modes and the advanced modes.

For me, I'll use creative modes when I'm in a pinch. Say my camera is setup for landscapes and my son is doing something cute. In those situations, just quickly rotate the mode dial to a creative mode (like Portrait) and fire away.

However, if you want ultimate control over the depth of field (area in focus), a specific shutter speed to freeze fast action or to capture silky smooth water, you'll need to utilize the advanced modes.

If you need help with this, I just release my cheat cards for the T3i, which tell you exactly which settings I would use for different situations. You can check them out here: http://www.cameratips.com/t3i/cheat-cards

In regards to the creative blur, I think you're referring to the 'Creative Filters.' These effects are applied to the image, after it is taken. This process is identical to what you might do with Photoshop or Lightroom. It shouldn't have any bearing on the lens you're using.

All the best! :)