Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Shooting Sports in a Cafeteria

edited November 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I am a yearbook advisor that is forced to shoot sports in a cafeteria with terrible lighting. I have a 60D with a Sigma 70-20mm f/2.8 and a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. The 70-200mm is almost too long to take pictures in the tiny cafeteria, especially with the crop factor. I have been shooting in aperture priority at f/2.8, but in order to get a shutter speed fast enough I have to set the ISO at the highest setting and the pictures get really grainy. In shutter priority if I set the speed for 1/500 the pictures are really dark. The only thing that I have been able to do is shoot in aperture priority at f/2.8 and set the ISO at 3200 and get a slow shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/125 or even slower. That does not freeze the action when shooting basketball. If you can tell me anything that would be helpful it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I take photos in our indoor sports center and the lighting is pretty bad in there. I used a Canon 600D (I think it is the T3i in the US) with a 18-55mm lens with the following settings to shoot basketball and indoor hockey: camera set to shutter priority (TV) 1/400 @ 1600 ISO & AI Servo.