50mm f/1.4 lens hood and protection filter

edited November 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello,

I am looking to buy a lens hood and protective filter for my Canon f/1.4. Of course I am aware of the Canon lens hood, but are there any other brands that work as good? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Sumi

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Most good third party lens hoods will work just as well as the Canon version and are a lot cheaper too.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited November 2013
    The Canon lens hood on B&H's site is $25.95. The Vello one they carry is $16.95, so it will save you a little.

When it comes to a filter, it is a matter of personal opinion. Some won't touch them and others will swear by them. If you use them (which I recommend if you are doing any outside shooting) be sure to get a good one. It isn't necessary to get the most expensive, but you also do not want the cheapest. Just remember you are putting that additional piece of glass in front of your lens for the light to pass through. I use Hoya UV Pro 1 Digital Filters when outside on a windy day. There are others out there just as good, and some better, so just pick the one that works best for you.