Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Buy the kit or body only and 1-2 lenses?

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I am deciding on purchasing the D5100. My favorite type of photography is more distance than close up, such as bridges, landscape, lighthouses, sunset/sunrise, and so on. I also like taking candid shots of people, but from a distance (that's not to say I don't take close-up shots). I also want to learn to take water (Gulf of Mexico, lakes, rivers) shots where you slow down the movement. I am assuming that can be done from a distance too. Lastly, I want to learn night shooting like night cityscapes (if that's what it's called).
My questions are, should I just buy the kit that comes with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm, or should I buy only the body and the lens you suggest for the All-in-On Walkaround (Tamron 18-270mm)?
My funds are $800-900.
And what about filters?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I know this is old, but the Tamron you are looking at probably does not have VR or similar image stabilization which you will definitely need going above 200mm.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi,
    The Tamron 18-270mm pzd does have image stabilization, which works pretty well. It is also quite quick to focus. However, as @germanshepherd suggests, you will need a very steady hand or a mono/tripod for sharp photos at the 270mm end.
    Regards, PBked