Dogs in action

edited November 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm wanting to take pictures of my dogs out playing in action. Any tips? What's the best lens and do I need an external flash? I only have basic equipment at the moment, but I am willing to buy anything to make my photos look better.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Lisa

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Outdoors in sunny conditions your kit lens will do the job perfectly. Only thing is the lens focal lenght might be too short ( you must be really close at 50mm). Most important thing is to keep the shutter speed fast enough or images will get blurry while the dog changes direction constantly. So, maybe a longer lens will be needed, and then starts the option list.

If it's always in bright conditions you will do fine with the Nikkor 55-300mm VR, 55-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR and Tamron 70-300mm VR.

If you have challenging conditions and you notice you start to get serious with photography, there are several 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses.
    Cheapest stabilized lens is Sigma's 70-200mm f/2.8 OS. These will blur the background of your dog easily. They cost 900€. It's a superb lens for weddings and other events too, but think carefully.

If you're fine with 50mm focal length, then there is very easy solution; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G.
  • edited January 2014
    I bought the Nikkor 55-300mm VR, and I love it. My wife has horses and it's lovely to shoot with this lens. It's not very cheap, but the results are amazing!!! I may be an amateur but you will not regret it.