Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Lens and settings for portrait session

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Two older family friends want me to take some portrait photos of their family during Thanksgiving. I have a 35mm lens and a 18-55mm kit lens. Which should I use, and should I use aperture or portrait settings on them? They know I am new at this, but I want to do my best so any advice would be great!

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Use your 35mm. You will get a lot sharper images than what your kit lens will give you. I use manual on every shot I take, but if you haven't mastered manual yet then use aperture (A). The trick I use is put the aperture number at how many people are in the shot. So 1 person put it at a 2 or lower. Two people, put it at a 2 to a 3 and so forth. Use singe-point AF as well and put the dot on the person's eyes. Hope this helps.
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks, would love to learn to use manual more but don't know enough yet to know what settings work best.