Lens Change

edited October 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I'm shooting with a 60D and Tamron 18-270mm. I noticed that the Tamron gets blurred images the closer you get to 270mm. I was thinking of playing with the big boys and girls and getting a Canon 24-105mm F4L IS EF. Will this be a waste of money to put it on the 60D f/1.6 crop versus the full sensor?

Are any cheat cards available for the Canon 60D?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Hi Harry,
    It's true that the Tamron 18-270mm is softer at the long end, but the blur is more probably due to camera shake or the short depth of field. However, if you want to up your glass, most of the experts seem to think that the 24-105mm is a pointless focal range for crop sensor cameras as it is effectively a 38-168mm. I have never used this lens so I am only quoting the many reviews of it that I have read. Ultimately, it's your choice.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited October 2013
    I just traveled around europe with that lens. I would have liked it to go wider, but that's why I also took the 10-22mm.
    This set would be a combination of the two: (see here)
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks @PBked, I read that too. What would you recommend? What do you shoot with?
  • edited October 2013
    Hi @withns,
    Thanks for your response and for sharing the photos. Nice shots.
  • edited October 2013
    Look at your photos and see what focal range you shoot the most. If the 24-105mm fits then go for it. I used a 28-135mm for years and had no problems with the focal length. You may also want to take a look at the 15-85mm or 18-135mm. You could also throw in the 17-55mm unless you have your heart sit on an L lens. Granted all are EF-S (crop) lenses, so if you are going to go FF I would stick with the 24-105mm.
  • edited October 2013
    Great suggestion . I would say that more than half of my pictures fall into the range of the 24-105mm. I went ahead an ordered it. I also have a Sigma 10-20mm to make up most of what I will lose in wide angle. Also bought it with the dream of buying a full frame Canon one day in the future. Of course I know I will need to get the Canon that will get me the distance like 100-300mm. Don't tell my wife.
  • edited October 2013
    Enjoy the new lens, and no worries I won't tell on you here. I usually wait to tell on myself with the wife until afterwards. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness then permission.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Harry,
    Best not to say anything. If the subject comes up you say, "I told you about it at the time, don't you remember dear?" As most wives don't want to admit to Alzheimers, they usually say, "Oh yes, I remember now".
    So you made your choice. I spoke to an acquaintance the other day and he said that the 24-105mm is never off his 60D. As a matter of interest, I shoot with the Tamron 18-270mm, but I am also fond of my 15-85mm.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited October 2013
    Hi @withns, I just went back to your pictures last night. I am a bit of a history nut, and I was very touched reading some of the inscriptions on the monuments. Your pictures did a good job in bringing out the emotion and thoughts.
    Galipolli was a terrible battle. Many lives lost on both sides. It was a poor plan that Chruchill came up with. Did you have any relatives lost there?
  • Hey @Harry6 - As @PBked mentioned, the "blurriness" you're experiencing is most likely due to camera shake or a shutter speed that is too slow to freeze subject movement. If you can give me an idea as to the subject you were trying to photograph and the lighting conditions, I'll be able to suggest some settings to try. If you have the photos uploaded somehwhere (flickr, facebook, etc...) and don't mind linking to them...then even better.

As for the cheat cards...I do have it on my list of "to-do's." Once I get closer to finishing them up, I'll make an announcement. All the best!
  • edited October 2013
    Hey Moose, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, my pictures on Facebook are some of the better ones. I live in Central Florida and I like to shoot in the everglades. Now is the time we start getting the various birds flying in. Of course when they are in flight I try to use a high shutter speed. When they are sunning my shutter speed comes down a lot (not below 1/60) and that is when I use my Tamaron 18-270mm. When I shoot close to max is when I notice the lack of sharpness.

I also love to travel and take pictures. Last year we did a trip to Arizona. Some of my pictures of the Grand Canyon show my lack of experience. Sometimes I use a tripod with cable .

I am not a computer wiz so I am not sure what you mean by linking. I for sure would love for you to look at some of the pictures I have on Facebook. Can you guide me to Linking?
    Thanks so much, Harry
  • edited October 2013
    I just received the Canon 24-105mm. Just took it out in the back yard to take some test shots.
    What can I say fellers, oh my goodness. Shots so sharp at both ends. I herd a piece of information before, "Buy the best equipment that you can afford". So far this is a super sharp lens, the sharpest I have. Red stripe from now on!
  • edited October 2013
    This is dangerous! How are you going to explain to wifey when you go and buy one of Canon's $3000 dollar plus lenses?
    Seriously, enjoy your new lens
    PBked
  • edited October 2013
    Even an enthusiast like me will have to draw the line between eating and taking sharp pictures.