Best wide angle/landscape lens

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi everyone,

Like most of you, I have the D3100 with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. I'm really getting into travel and landscape photography and need advice about which wide angle lens to get.

I'd prefer a Nikon lens within the £300-£500 bracket, but I know they can be a lot pricier for a beginner so I'm open to other brand options too.

Thanks in advance for your help!
MA

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Nikkor is great, but expensive. Other alternatives are Tokina 12-24mm (or brand new 12-28mm), Tokina 11-16mm constant f/2.8, Sigmas wide angles, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and Sigma 8-16mm.

My main lens for travel is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. I love constant f/4. At 12mm you can handhold shots with very low shutter speeds in dim places like museums. It has flaring, but when you are a ware of it you can make use of it in your photos. I bought one used for 250 euros. New ones seem to be $447. Tokina just made a new version of the lens 12-28mm. The 24-28mm difference doesn't sound big but from my experience it is a massive difference. If the Tokina 12-28mm gets good reviews I'm going to switch to it. The 12-28mm is a perfect walk around travel/landscape focal length.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks for your great advice!
    As I'm only getting started, I think I may just go for a Tokina, either 12-24mm as you say or check out the new 12-28mm.

I'm also interested in getting the Nikon AF-S 55-300mm VR as a good all-rounder and also because Moose said it's good for travel photography too. Does anyone know if this can meet my needs for wide angle photography as well?

With thanks,
    MA
  • edited October 2013
    I ended up springing the cash and getting the Nikkor 10-24mm, and I love it. I wish they made a 10mm prime because I pretty much leave it there.
  • edited October 2013
    That Nikkor 10-24mm looks absolutely lush. It has been rated 100% five stars on Amazon UK so it must be good! That's on my wishlist so maybe once I become less of a newbie at this stuff I'll treat myself to it. :)
  • edited October 2013
    Yes, Nikkor 10-24mm will hold its value for ages. There's no reason to buy a new version of that lens. Tokina's are well build too and I can guarantee that they will survive nuclear holocaust if need to! ;) You will love the 77mm filter size. Wide angle lenses look most pro to me.

The 55-300mm must be decent for traveling. I use a Tamron 70-300mm VC and I think it's stronger than the 55-300mm, but for camera crop the 70mm is an odd focal length. At 55mm you can be pretty close to your subject.