How do I shoot fish in an aquarium?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I was talking with a fellow T2i owner over on my Facebook page and she was wondering how to shoot fish in an aquarium. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

Abby's Question: I'm a new Canon owner! I'm taking my nephews to the aquarium tomorrow and wondered if you had some tips on taking photos of the fish.

Moose's Answer: Sounds like a great time! I would enable Shutter priority (Tv on the mode dial) and select a shutter speed around 1/125 to 1/250 (rotate the smaller command dial). Make sure your ISO is set to Auto and also activate AI Servo (press the right arrow AF button on the back of your camera). Lastly, enable Continuous shooting (left arrow on the back of your camera).

With this setup, get as close to the glass as possible. Half-press the shutter to continuously focus on the fish. Once you're happy with the composition, fully press the shutter and hold it down. You'll be able to rattle off a series of shots in quick succession. This will improve your odds of finding a keeper.