Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Setting a custom White Balance error

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi Moose,

I am trying to set a custom white balance, but when I try to take a picture of my white card, I get an the error message "Unable to measure preset white balance, please try again". What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Sometimes the camera cannot focus on the white card because of lack of contrast. If it can't focus, it can't record the white balance correctly. I have a piece of thick white card on one side of which I have drawn an object in black marker. I focus on the object and then press the 'focus lock' button. Then I simply turn the card around and take the shot for measuring the white balance. Works every time.
    You can also purchase a 'gray' card from a good photo retailer. For some reason, cameras can lock focus more easily on gray than white.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited October 2013
    Thank you for responding; it worked. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.