Settings for Fall Colors/Foliage

edited September 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hello all, we are getting ready for a weekend on the McKenzie River in Oregon. After much research (weather permitting) I have found that this time of year is the best for the array of fall colors. Any suggestions on best settings to really bring out the reds, yellows, etc? I have both the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. I don't have any filters, so I would like suggestions on that too! I have had this camera for a year and feel like I have a Porsche that I have never taken out of first gear. I want to start utilizing its capabilities!

Thank you!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @Tbaca - Your settings will typically effect how much you want in or out of focus, or how much or little motion blur you want.

Getting the proper exposure will help keep all the details there, but changing aperture or shutter speed wont effect color rendition as far as I know.

A polarizer may be of some interest to you if you are shooting in broad daylight and would like a little more pop in colors, particularly blue and green.
  • Hey @Tbaca - If you're the type of person who doesn't like to edit (post-process) images then set your Image Quality to JPEG and then set your Picture Control to Vivid. This will give you a nice punch of color.

Like @Adelphos mentioned, I would get yourself a circular polarizer. It will add a bit more saturation, especially in the sky and in vegetation.

All the best and have a great trip!

P.S. Don't forget to upload some of your images to flickr, facebook or google+ and then share them with us when you get back!