Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best Lens for up Close Photos of Animals

edited September 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I am an animal biologist and I work as a herpetologist out in Indonesia. I want a lens to be able to take really sharp and detailed photos of animals I catch and I'm working on up close (i.e. monitor lizards, pythons, smaller snakes). I need photos for scientific purposes (for example scale counts later on), so I need good detail and sharpness. I will take a combination of both up close head shots ventrally and dorsally as well as whole organism shots. I have recently bought a Nikon D51000. Can someone please advise which lens is best (35mm, 40mm, 30-200mm, 50-300mm etc). My budget is 100-200 GBP. Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Thank you, Josh

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @JoshTwining - I have the 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6.

It is very fast focusing and great out to about 200mm. It is slightly soft from 200-300mm.

The issue you're going to run into is how light or dark it is out when you take these.

Either the 55-200mm, 55-300mm or the 70-300mm will do (I prefer the 70-300mm), however, none of these do well in low light situations. The only in between option is the new 70-200mm f/4 but it's over $1,000 USD so probably not the best option.
  • edited October 2013
    Hey @JoshTwining - I would go with the Nikon 40mm (see here on Amazon) or 60mm (see here on Amazon) Micro lenses. If you're going to be working up close, you'll want a true macro lens that can also double as a good low light lens for everyday stuff.