Choosing my First DSLR

edited October 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
First of all, congratulations on your second child. May God bless you and your family. I am going to buy my first DSLR, and obviously I want it to be the best and special for me.

While researching for almost a month, I ended up with four models; two from entry level and two from semi-pro category (Nikon D3200, Nikon D5100, Canon 60D and Nikon D7000).

My friends who are into photography advised me to buy the entry level Nikon D3200 to learn more about the camera and especially different lenses.

Sometimes my heart is inclined towards the Nikon D7000 and Canon 60D because of its rugged body, professional look and of course great built in photography system.

But these cost double the Nikon D3200, which has a plastic body. My hands sometimes get very sweaty when outside, so I was wondering if the Nikon D3200 or D5100 would be better for me. Please advise. Thank you.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I chose the Nikon D3200 last year a couple months after it came out. The primary reason I bought this is that I have two friends with Nikons and we can borrow lenses from each other as needed (an enormous money saver).

Each camera has its own strengths and weaknesses as I've learned. What types of photography are you primarily interested in doing?
  • edited October 2013
    I used my friend's DSLRs, and it was a good experience. One has a Nikon D3100 and the other has a Canon 60D. Frankly speaking, I couldn't make out any differences when looking at the pictures. Since it's my first DSLR I should choose it wisely.

I am more into a mix of every kind of photography. I like landscape and street photography the most, and sometimes I like to create a perfect image by taking pictures of pouring water, fireworks, laughs, and other unusual things. I am not much into macro and portrait, although if I get the perfect shot I click those too.

I'm not at all into video making. For that I have a Sony camcorder which suits all kind of video making.

I am 90% sure about buying the Nikon D3200. The money I'll save can be invested in good lenses. What do you think?
  • edited September 2013
    With a $1000 budget, if I bought a camera today I would get the Nikon D5200. With a lower budget I would still choose my D3200. I haven't bothered to investigate pro quality cameras as they are simply out of my price range so I can't give advice there.

The two big differences that matter to me is that the D5200 does automatic exposure bracketing (useful for HDR), but on the D3200 I have to do it manually. On the D5200 you have a tilt screen which is useful for taking photos near the ground or over your head, while the D3200 just has a traditional fixed screen.

There are other differences that justify the price difference, but those are what matter to me at the moment.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks man, I really appreciate your time and opinion. My budget is within $1000, which should include my 50mm lens too.

So if I go with the D5200 it would go beyond $1000. That's why I am sticking to the D3200 only (and the two reasons you said).

It's possible with the D5100 to shoot in HDR and it has a tilted screen. On the other hand it has an old processor and is almost 99% similar to the D3200.

So I have decided to go with the D3200 only. Plus it will be good experience learning from you guys!

Keep up the good work. Cheers mate!
  • edited September 2013
    My honest advice is, if you're serious about getting into photography, get the camera you can grow into. I got one body, grew out of it, and bought twice. It may not be the same for everyone, but that's how it worked for me.

The D7000 is an amazing camera for the price and you can get one used for far less than new because the D7100 is out now. Or you can get it refurbished (by Nikon) from Adorama.com for $749 with free shipping, last time I checked. You will not outgrow this camera any time soon. It will give you plenty of time to learn the controls, buy some really good lenses over time, and grow as a photographer with a quality camera.

I would definitely get the D7000 personally, but don't let that sway you if you want something else. Just one opinion to consider of many. At the end of the day, the best camera is the one you have on you, or in this case, just the one you have! :)
  • edited September 2013
    @Adelphos thank you so much for your opinion. I was kind of attracted to the D7000. It has great potential, but my budget is quite tight as you know. Plus I reside in India, and the price over here is still very high.

I searched for a second hand D7000 but it turned out to be bogus. It was somewhere around 70-80k shutter actuation. India doesn't have any refurbished stores so I am reluctant to buy a used one. I feel I can grow with a D3200. In the future if I felt the need for a semi pro camera, then I can get that also to go deep into photography.

You're absolutely right about the D7000. It's an awesome camera. Yesterday I only visited one store and was mesmerized by its magnesium alloy body...wow! It was awesome. I ordered the D3200 and I'm just waiting for the courier. :) Wish me luck!
  • @abhi_t30 - Sorry for the slow reply and thank you so much for the kind words! It sounds like you went with the D3200...congrats!

Ultimately, I always tell beginners to start with a "cheap" camera body and invest the rest of your budget in good lenses. You'll tend to hang on to great lenses while upgrading your camera body every 3 to 5 years.

In addition, great lenses tend to do more for an image than a comparable DSRL. Things like bokeh (shallow depth of field), low light ability, sharpness, clarity, image stabilization, etc... are all attributed to the lens.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask them in the Nikon D3200 forum and I'll get to your questions much quicker. All the best and happy shooting!
  • edited October 2013
    @moose, thank you sir! Yes I got my Nikon D3200 and believe me, I am having a great time using it. Last week I attended my friend's wedding, and since I'm just a beginner I used only the kit lens. When the pictures came out, they were gorgeous. I had heard the kit lens doesn't perform well, but I disagree. Although it can't produce images like prime lenses it is still amazing.
    I'm still at a learning stage, so please do guide me. I'm not a professional but I'm passionate about photography apart from being an analyst. :D

I hope you enjoy every bit of your life, and I apologize for the late reply.

Cheers!
  • Hey @abhi_t30 - So glad to hear you had a great time at the wedding and got some nice shots. I'm finally getting around to adding some tutorials for the Nikon D3200, so keep an eye out for them. All the best!
  • edited October 2013
    @moose, thanks mate!