Best Lens for Home Made Studio Portraits

edited August 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I am turning my spare room into a studio as cheap as possible, and I am a complete novice. Any tips on must haves? What lens would be recommended for taking portraits with my D3100?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I too shoot with a D3100 and have converted my great room into my studio as I am learning to shoot in natural light. As I am learning to shoot in manual mode I am wondering what are the best settings for my lens. I currently have a 18-55mm, a 55-200mm and a fixed 35mm.
  • @pops - Must haves: Light, light and more light. In all seriousness, if you're setting up a studio, paint the walls white and if you can add a large window or two.

In addition to the natural light, in many cases you'll also need the assistance of some speedlights and/or some continuous lighting.

Once you've got the light sorted out, then focus on your lenses. To do it right, you need to shoot with a bright/fast lens...one that can attain apertures around f/1.8 or lower.

That should get you going in the right direction. Let me know if you have any other questions. All the best!
  • @Stacie - I would definitely shoot with the 35mm f/1.8G. The 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses aren't great indoors or in low light.

As for settings, are you doing portrait, group (family) and/or product photography?
  • I am doing beauty portraits using natural light only and I only want to shoot in manual mode without a flash.
  • edited September 2013
    Just bought the Nikon 50m f/1.8 G and I've been practicing on the grandchildren in the garden, and really don't know the best distance to stand. Too close and I struggle to focus, but too far and there's too much background. Am I just being to picky? None of them look like good quality shots.
  • edited September 2013
    Also, I have a large half length window. Should I set my background up in front of the window and keep the natural light behind the subject or the natural light behind the camera? Thanks for the last advice. I have had that much advice from guys in shops that contradict each other. I am sticking with yours.
  • edited September 2013
    If on a smaller budget I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8.

If you can spend about twice that (which still isn't much relatively speaking) then I have to tell you I LOVE my 85mm f/1.8 for portraits!

Also, I understand the want to just shoot in manual mode, but this is one case where the camera will choose middle of the road settings and you really won't be getting the full potential of the lens. Please just switch you camera to aperture priority mode and set your aperture to f/1.8. Then compare the shots with the auto mode shots and you'll see.
  • edited November 2013
    Set your background behind your subject and at right angles to your window. Opposite your window, use a reflector (a white sheet will do) to help throw light back onto your subject and help soften shadows.
    PBked