Nikon 85mm f/1.8g or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Wedding Photography

edited August 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I have been asked to be a second shooter at a wedding in September, so I am looking into buying a new affordable and fast lens. The main photographer and I both are amateurs and are doing this for a friend on a budget. I am trying to decide between the Nikon 85mm f/1.8g or the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 55-200mm and Nikon 55-300mm (needed more zoom for kids sports). The wedding ceremony will be held outside and the reception inside. My gut tells me to get the 85mm just because of the rave reviews and because of the great results I have had with my 50mm prime. However, I feel the 28-70mm zoom may be more beneficial at the reception but I'm worried about picture quality and if it will produce nice bokeh. I also want to take into consideration which one will benefit me most after the wedding, for portraits. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Melissa

Comments

• edited September 2013
    When I first bought the 85mm f/1.8 I could hardly take it off for a long time. Not much has changed. If you have the capability to move around and get the right shots I would advise this prime all day. I love it. It will be great for portraits after the wedding as well.

With that said, a zoom can be helpful when you are limited on being able to move around and I have zero experience with the 28-70mm. However, I still feel the 85mm will be your best bet, not to mention something you will use for years and years to come. The 28-70mm kind of overlaps and I'm personally not a fan of mid-zooms any time I can get my hands on a prime instead. 85mm f/1.8 would be my choice, no doubt about it, but that's just my personal input.
  • edited January 2014
    Don't forget that on a DX camera that 85mm becomes a 127mm, so inside a church it's going to be way to long! Take a look at the Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm & 18-50mm f/2.8. Both lenses are great for weddings. I have the Tamron and it hasn't let me down, but the Sigma has gotten slightly better reviews.