Canon 60D or Nikon D5200 for Wildlife Photography

edited October 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
I am a beginner who started clicking pictures 6 months ago using a Canon point and shoot SX160 and did really well (people feedback). Now I want to buy a DSLR.

My main areas of interest are wildlife and landscapes. I need a camera that shoots sharp images of birds and retains the nature's original color be it wildlife or landscapes. I was very happy with the Canon point and shoot because of the way it captured the nature's hues whenever I clicked landscapes.

As per my budget, I can either go for a Canon 60D or Nikon D5200. The entire internet talks about the D5200 being a great camera in that budget, but there is one thing about Nikon that bothers me a lot.

I examined that many mid range Nikon DSLR's give a blueish/greenish tinge to the photographs and I hate that. This is not the case with Canon. I read many reviews and few photographers have also written about this color effect with Nikon mid range DSLRs.

Hence I started thinking about Canon 60D. A lot of people have written about Nikon's ability to perform better than Canon in low light. Is that true and should someone actually leave Canon and buy Nikon for this advantage?

I am here to get a final expert opinion. I need a camera to get sharp birds in flight photos and landscape photos and I don't want any additional tinge other than the subject's and nature's actual color. Also, please advize me which lens would be better (keeping in mind I am a beginner with limited money) for bird in flight photography?

If I am going for Canon should I go for the kit lens EF S 18-200mm IS to begin with? I can't afford a 100-400mm as of now. My total budget for the camera and one lens is approximately $1500.

If there is another good lens ( be it Sigma or Tamron) in the same price/budget for bird-in-flight pics, do let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I would always recommend Canon for its faithful color reproduction. The 60D is a good camera, but has a steep learning curve. However, with the introduction of the 70D, 60D prices will start dropping.

As for the lens, to get the best, you need to use the best. All experts agree that Canon L glass is hard to beat, but it is expensive.

There are offerings from Sigma and Tamron, but I think you would soon become frustrated with them in your search for optical clarity as you would with the EFS 18-200mm.

For bird photography you would want something within the 70-300mm range with the smallest constant aperture you can afford (f/2.8).

Anything longer than 300mm and you begin to have serious problems with image stabilization unless you are prepared to use a tripod at all times. Anything bigger than a constant aperture of f/4 will give you focus problems at the telephoto end especially in failing light.

At the end of the day, the old saying of buy the best lens you can afford and skimp on the camera is the best advice.

Check the web for secondhand Canon L lenses or refurbished ones. You can make substantial savings this way.

Best regards, PBked
  • edited July 2013
    Thank you, that really helps. I will try to go for a Canon body plus a Canon 70-300mm, or a Canon body plus a Sigma 70-300mm in case I can't afford a Canon.
  • edited October 2013
    I would recommend the Nikon D5200 and the 70-300mm lens. Choose for yourself though, based on your needs.
  • Hey @ClickKlick - Sorry for the slow reply...did you end up settling on a DSLR? If you're still looking let me know and I'll help point you in the right direction. All the best!