The right lens for Afghanistan desert

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi, I need some help. I am very much a newbie to my Nikon D3100. I work out in Afghanistan and there's a lot to capture. So here's a list of questions I am hoping to find answers to...

1. There's a lot of air traffic where I work and I'd like to now how to adjust my shutter speed to get overexposed shots during the day.

2. What's a decent fisheye lens I can use with my camera and also an entry level macro lens.

3. As it being all desert where I am located, what type of filter can I use just to take away the sharpness of the shot as everything is really bright.

So there you have it.

Comments

• Howdy @Finlay - I'll do my best to answer your questions...

1. I'm not sure I fully understand? You're desiring to capture overexposed (bright or blown out) shots during the day? If that's the case, then you can enable Shutter priority (S on the mode dial) and select a slow shutter speed depending on the effect you're trying to achieve.

2. In regards to a fisheye lens, if you have the budget it's hard to beat the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX for sharpness, clarity and performance. If it's outside your budget, take a look at the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 with focus confirmation. With this lens you'll have to focus manually which takes some getting used to, but the focus confirmation will let you know if the scene is in focus. In regards to a macro lens, I really like the Nikon AF-S Micro 85mm f/3.5G VR. If you're looking to just dabble with macro photography, you might check out the Raynox DCR-250 adapter. This little device can clip to any lens with a filter diameter between 52-67mm, giving you the ability to quickly go from regular shooting to macro shooting in a matter of seconds.

3. As for filters, I would look at getting a circular polarizer. The polarizer will increase saturation, giving you deeper blue skies and more cloud detail. It also cuts out some of the bright light and reflections.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    And the heavans have opened up and gave us Moose. Thanks for the help there. Yes, as for the first question, I was aiming at the blur (streak) effect during dusk and dawn as aircraft take off, land, drop flares and so on.
  • @Finlay - Ha! You're too kind. Ok, got it...if you want to capture background movement (blur) and keep the subject in focus, you'll need the help of a neutral density filter. Think of it like shades for your lens. It effectively reduces the amount of light, giving you the ability to use slower shutter speeds in bright daylight.

ND filters come in varying levels of darkness, I would start with 1.2 filter. This will reduce the amount of light by 4 stops. So say you're shooting without the filter and you're obtaining a shutter speed of 1/1000. In this case the ND filter would give you a shutter speed closer to 1/60, which is sufficient for panning effects. Happy shooting! :)