What settings are best for taking fast action surfer shots?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I was talking with a fellow T2i owner over on my Facebook page and she was wondering which settings to use in order to get sharp shots of fast action surfers. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

Bethany's Question: I recently purchased the 55-250mm lens and have been shooting my boyfriend surfing. However, the photos have been coming out a little blurred looking. I'm quite dissapointed. I’m sure it's not the camera, nor lens; maybe the settings I’ve been using? What settings should I be using on a bright sunny day versus an overcast day? I’ve also been pressing the shutter button halfway and been following him while on a wave to capture all the action shots, but there is still a lot of blurriness going on. Oh, and any suggestions on cleaning my camera after a shoot at the beach? I’m sure the salt water will mess up my camera in the long run.

Moose's Answer: In order to freeze fast action (like a surfer), you'll need to shoot in Shutter priority (Tv on the mode dial) and select a shutter speed between 1/500 and 1/2000. You can adjust the shutter speed using the smaller command dial. In addition to that, I would change your metering mode to Center weighted or Partial metering. This will ensure the surfer is properly exposed. Lastly, I would adjust your AF mode to AI Servo and enable Continuous shooting. AI Servo, will allow you to continuously focus on a moving subject by half-pressing the shutter. Continuous shooting, will give you the ability to capture a burst of shots in quick succession. This is great for capturing intense moments, like when he's traveling up and down the wave.

As for protection, you're going to need to shoot with a UV filter. Normally I say, shoot without, but whenever I'm near salty ocean spray the UV filter is critical. I recommend the Hoya 58mm UV filter for your 55-250mm lens.

Bethany's Reply: What is the metering mode? Where is it located so I can adjust it?

Moose's Reply: It's located inside the T2i menu, under the camera tab with two dots.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi Moose! It's me, Bethany! ;)

Any how, I wrote you on Facebook, but later deleted my account...so I'll write you here. I believe I was questioning about getting the surfer to "pop" in a photo.

The photos aren't coming out blurry or anything, I'm just having a hard time getting the right exposure. Like, what different settings should I use if I'm shooting first thing in the morning vs. mid day when the sun is high in the sky. Or if it's and ugly, overcast day?

Thanks again for your help, it's always appreciated. - Bethany :)
  • edited April 2012
    Howdy @_bethany - Ha! Welcome, I'm glad you found your way to the forum. The key to capturing eye-popping surfer action shots is to use a lens that can get you in close to the action.

I've had great success photographing surfers from a pier. It allows you to get within 20 to 30 feet of all the action. When you shoot from the beach, you're usually 50 to 100 feet away from the surfer. In order to shoot from the beach, you really need a lens that can zoom to 500mm.

Your 55-250mm is more than sufficient for shooting within close range, so if at all possible try to coordinate some shots with you shooting from a pier.

As for time of day, the first two hours and the last two hours of sunlight are best for getting the surfer to "pop". The sun is low in the horizon, which provides some amazing light when the surfer breaks over the top of a wave.

Settings remain the same throughout the day. You'll be able to get fast shutter speeds in the middle of the day, compared to shooting during sunrise and/or sunset.

If it's an ugly or overcast day, there's not much you can do. Believe it or not, there is a science to photography. Keep a close eye on the weather and time for sunrises/sunsets.

Happy shooting! :)